Enabling Inertial Scroll Setting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skywavesli, Apr 25, 2010.

1. skywavesli macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2008
    Hi, everyone

I have a brand-new mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro and have been trying to enable inertial scroll with no luck.

I heard that it should be under System Preferences, Trackpad, and then in a drop-down menu called "with/without momentum" next to Scroll. However, I cannot find any setting referencing momentum or inertial scrolling.

Any thoughts?

Thank you so much!
  2. tikidoc macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2010
    Yup, under the "two fingers" section in trackpad.
  3. crh3ff macrumors member

Feb 26, 2010
    here it is

look next to scroll, under two-finger

Attached Files:

4. blazezaku macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2009
    Hong Kong
    When i disable it, every time after i reboot it will enable again but in the menu it shows that it is disabled?:confused::confused::confused:
  5. NateDogX macrumors member

Mar 29, 2010
    Very strange that I don't see this option at all on my new MBP 13".
  6. Arrandale macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2010
    Two things I can think of:

1) You haven't updated your software, there was a specific software update for the new MacBook Pros a week ago.

2) They've mistakenly shipped you a previous generation MBP. Check your model identifier in System Profiler to see that you have a MacBookPro6,x model and not a 5,x model.
  7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2010
    I wish there was a way to edit the inertial settings. I kind of wish it kept scrolling a little longer after taking your fingers off.
  8. skywavesli thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2008
    It's weird, the setting is not there.

I also checked, and there's no updates available.

In addition, I checked the model identifier and it says "MacBookPro7,1".

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

9. jpefjr macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2008
    Any chance that you booted up with 64-bit kernel and the drivers for momentum scrolling isn't 64-bit?
  10. antmo macrumors member

Feb 20, 2008
    OP, did you maybe restore via a whole system restore, like carbon copy cloner or move your old disk into your new machine? a restore could have overwrote the pref pane/plist or something. just trying to throw out ideas...

@blazezaku fyi, i have the same problem of having my scroll with momentum not stick after reboot too, even though i disabled it and it shows as disabled in the pref pane. i have to reselect it and it starts behaving.
  11. NateDogX macrumors member

Mar 29, 2010
    I found what was wrong with mine earlier today. When I took my MBP 2010 into the Apple Store, they flashed it with a drive from an older model. Not only did my comp not have inertial scrolling, but it didn't know that it had a larger battery. Now, instead of getting around six hours from my battery, I get about 8 with some intense multitasking going on.
  12. peterpan4 macrumors newbie

May 1, 2010
    Is there a chance, that this could also be a solution for the weak battery time I see for my MacBook Pro 13" 2010.
    I just installed my old HD from my old MBP 13" (late 2009) into the new one and I get a bad battery time and I also do not see the scrolling option as aforementioned.

What would be (if this is the case) the best way to immigrate to the new hardware without reinstalling everything?
    I can make a Timemachine backup, is it possible to immigrate everything from there, so I do not have to reinstall all the programs and make the settings?
    If timemachine does not provide this, which program do you recommend to use else?
  13. tinrocket macrumors newbie

May 8, 2010
    Hi, I'm in the same boat. My system settings match, but I upgraded by SuperDuper!-ing the drive of my old machine. Hoping someone posts a solution... :\
  14. skywavesli thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2008
    The issue was that I simply took the hard drive out of my previous gen MacBook Pro and put it into the new one.

I simply installed a fresh copy of Snow Leopard from the DVD the new MacBook Pro came with, and that solved it.