Enabling Multi-Touch has introduced a big problem for me....

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by jweaver, May 17, 2011.

1. jweaver macrumors member

Could people who have enabled Multi-Touch Gestures try something.

Until now I have not had a single problem with my iPad 2 (other than a bit of back light bleed)..

This weekend I upgraded from 4.3 to 4.3.3 and then enabled the "Multi-Touch Gesture" hack and since then I have had a problem twice which I have never seen before.

Basically, the problem is that when the iPad is on the "Slide to unlock" screen, the touch screen is unresponsive.. If I double click on the home button to bring up the "music" buttons, they don't work either.

I have now reproduced by letting the iPad go to sleep rather than switching it off.. In around 30-50% of cases, when you try and wake it up, the "Slide To Unlock" screen is unresponsive.

Anyone else see this?

2. jweaver thread starter macrumors member

I think I might know how to reproduce it 100% of the time.. I am still testing but it looks like I am onto something.

Do this

1. Wake up the iPad
    2. Do a 5 finger pinch on apps screen (it doens't do anything, nor should it)
    3. Let it sleep
    4. Try and wake it up.

For me, the touch screen is unresponsive and I haven't' found a way to make it start working, unless I just keep trying where eventually it works.

Jon

Edit.. Infact, forget the sleep thing.. Do this

1. Wake it up
    2. Do a pinch
    3. Press the button at the top to power off
    4. Try and wake it up.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I just tried your steps and mine is also unresponsive. Good catch.

iPad 2 64 GB wi-fi only/4.3.3/enabled multi-touch through iBackupBot.

4. jweaver thread starter macrumors member

:( Not happy.. I love the feature.. But this is a deal breaker for me.. Now the quest is on to find a quick way to make it work again when its in this state.

The only thing I can find to make it work is

1. Press/hold the power button (at the top) until the "slide to power off" screen appears

2. As this is unresponsive, you just have to wait 30 seconds or so until it vanishes

This appears to fix things and the screen is now responsive again.

Jon

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I love it too and honestly haven't noticed this issue until you brought it up. I guess I never let mine go to sleep after 5 fingering the home screen.

Hopefully this is fixed and/or added to the next firmware update because I'm so used to using it that I don't want to deactivate it.

EDIT* Can anyone that enabled these in Xcode try to see what happens?

6. jweaver thread starter macrumors member

You did read my edit didn't you? Its not just "sleep".. It happens when you press the power button too.

The key is that you have done a pinch and then shut it down.

If you do a pinch.. And then do ANYTHING (i.e press home) and then shut it down, its fine... Its the act of pinching and then shutting down which causes the problem.

The reason why this is a problem for me is that I keep treating the "pinch" as home.. So even on the app screen, I keep 'pinching' out of habit, as I think I am pressing 'home'.. Hopefully with a bit of practice, I can stop doing this.

How did you fix it again? Other than my "slide to power off" workaround, I havn't found anything else to restore normal functionality.. Atleast if it were easy to fix, it wouldn't be such a big deal for me.!

Jon

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yeah, I saw your edit. I was only able to fix by your steps. It was unusable until I did that.

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Same happens here.

The fact that I've had the gestures enabled for 2 months and have never noticed this problem makes it a non-issue for me. A fix would be nice though.

9. mrlowkey macrumors member

Can u upload a short say youtube video on this problem TS? Tks

10. allanrab macrumors newbie

my gestures are enabled through xcode and I was able exactly recreate the sequence:

pinch at the home screen then sleep button, wake with unresponsive touchscreen.
    pinch at the home screen then let screen timeout, wake with unresponsive touchscreen.

observations after some fooling around
    1. doing anything after the pinch, even a 2nd pinch, prevents the occurrance.
    2. waking up from with a smart cover prevents the occurrance. (or any magnet you have hanging around)

11. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I've had this happen to me but never realized the cause until this. It was happening to me on 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 and 4.3.3. I got my iPad 2 with 4.3.1 and immediately enabled gestures. It doesn't replicate in the manner you describe
    (pinch, sleep, attempt wakeup) ALL the time, but about every once in a while it does.

This doesn't reccur for me 100% of the time (prob 10% or less) and is really rare, but at least it's nice to know what's causing it & the fix instead of just frantically swiping to unlock like it's the end of the world.

12. jweaver thread starter macrumors member

I think it does do this EVERY time.. But the reason its not happening for you is surely because you arn't doing a pinch on the home screen very often.

In my tests yesturday, I found that with 100% certainty, if i punched on the home and then did nothing, other than sleep (whether that was with the button, or auto-sleep) it would end up in the unresponsive state.

But if I did the pinch, then did ANYTHING else and let it sleep, it was fine.

I am 100% convinced that if you go to the home, pinch and sleep, the problem will occur.

The question how is how often this will happen in normal use? And whether this problem is big enough to outweigh the benifits that Multi-Touch gestures bring!

Jon

13. HazyCloud, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Has anyone tested to see if this happens when enabling these through Xcode?

14. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Wow this sucks... I haven't seen this issue since I enabled gesturing through iBackupBot. I guess I haven't seen the issue since I don't use the power button at the top? I usually just close smart cover to turn it off. At work... I use a bluetooth wireless keyboard, so I don't see the "Slide to Unlock". I don't think I want to replicate the issue so won't be conscious of it. It's been working great for me since I enabled it.

15. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Must have misread, but yes, if I pinch ON the home screen with no apps open, then lock, it will occur. You're right though... who pinches on the home screen anyways? I think the only time it may happen accidentally is if my initial pinch lags for some reason which is extremely rare.

While it is a problem, no one intentionally pinches the home screen and those rapid pinchers who are getting this a lot need to chill half a sec for their app to close and they won't have the problem. Hate to sound like "you're using it wrong" but c'mon.... pinching on the homescreen does NOTHING, so don't do it.. if you think you did, swipe somehwere first then lock. not a big deal

16. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I've ran into it and I used iBackupBot too. If you follow the steps, it will happen. Of course it's one of those things that you probably won't run into on your own.

17. Cha macrumors regular

I never ran into the problem in my normal use, but using the OP's steps you can reproduce it every time. I was able to use the slider again by rotating the ipad a few times and then the slider will be usable again. It's a pain though.

18. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

19. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

you must have done it wrong. Happens all the time if you replicate the steps. Its never happened to me in normal use so its not a problem.

20. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Ahh, I see, I wasn't putting it to sleep first. Yeah, happened here, too, then. Got responsive again after about a minute.

21. jweaver thread starter macrumors member

You are all right.. It shouldn't happen during normal use, although for me, I genuinely happened twice..

I think the problem is that I am trying to de-program myself from using the home button and occasionally I end up doing the pinch on the home screen.

Since the pinch is supposed to emulate the home button, I subconsciously use it, to get to the "home" screen that you get to when you press the home button once.. And also to "search" screen that you get when you press the home button a 2nd time. I am actually surprised that a pinch on the home screen does not act like a press of the home button!

And also I have done 2 pinches without thinking to try to get to the Multi-Task Bar, which of course you get with a 4 finger up swipe.. None of these pinches work.. But its clear to see how someone who was used to using the IOS and Home button might end up pinching the home screen.

Jon

22. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I have iOS 4.3.3 on my iPad original with multitasking gestures enabled through Xcode, and I can confirm that the same problem exists when I pinch in on apps at home screen and send my iPad to sleep.

I noticed the unresponsiveness in lock screen with my iPhone 4 sometimes (enabled multitasking gestures through jailbreak) and never knew the cause until now.

-C

Sent from my iPad