Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
So, don't laugh me out of the forums... but has anyone tried this with a Blu-ray drive?

A physical blu-ray drive works just fine in a mac, so the ability to understand the file system is there.

timoldbean

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2011
I'm having real difficulties getting this working, despite reading other people saying it's working great.

I'm trying to share my optical drive that's on my MacBook that's running Snow Leopard on a 2GhZ Core 2 Duo CPU with my old Mac Mini that's running Tiger on a G4 PowerPC. Could there be an issue in sharing between Macs with an Intel and PowerPC CPU perhaps? Any ideas?

I've done the terminal commands - and I can even access files and folders shared between the two computers, so I know it's not a network problem. It's just Tiger isn't picking up this disc drive on my MacBook at all.

besddimo

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
I can confirm it works on MBP 13" early 2011 (using DVD drive on Win7 laptop).

I only used the 1st line of code and relaunched the finder.

mindquest

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
I'd like to report that as of 10.6.7, ODSSupported is unnecessary – just enabling EnableODiskBrowsing is enough.

And here's a tip on how to get rid of "Remote Disc" in the sidebar:
  1. open com.apple.sidebarlists.plist in Property List Editor (comes with Xcode) or your favourite plist editor
  2. expand systemitems and VolumesList nodes
  3. find the node that corresponds to Remote Disc (typically the last one)
  4. add a string item "Visibility" = "NeverVisible"
  5. save and log out.

After following these steps you can still access Remote Disc by going to Computer (⇧⌘C) and selecting "Remote Disc".

Was looking to resolve this issue myself, see my thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16432624

Running 10.8.2 on both iMac and Macbook Pro, I only enabled EnableODiskBrowsing and it worked no problem.

Thanks!

megmck

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2013
Can I use this to install snow leopard...

on my mid 2009 MBP with a busted optical drive? I'm not very computer savvy, so excuse my ignorance and the sure-to-follow clarification questions. I input this into terminal and was delighted to see that I could access the snow leopard install disc from a Dell 5110 running Windows XP. It starts the install process then gets to the page with the little progress bar, but never moves. A few minutes later it quits and says the Macintosh HD needs repaired. When I run disk utility, it says the HD is fine. I can access the disc remotely from Finder after I'm logged in, but it does NOT read it when I try to do the whole hold-Option-down-during-restart thing-- if I do that, the only option is my Macintosh HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.