Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I've been running Yosemite on a 3rd party SSD in my Mac mini server for the last 6 months. Of course TRIM support is not available in this configuration. BUT El Capitan does allow 3rd party SSD support. Will I simply have to upgrade to El Capitan tomorrow and TRIM support will be enabled automatically or is there something I need to be aware of?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've been running Yosemite on a 3rd party SSD in my Mac mini server for the last 6 months. Of course TRIM support is not available in this configuration. BUT El Capitan does allow 3rd party SSD support.
TRIM support for 3rd party SSDs was enabled back when 10.10.4 was released. It is not automatically enabled, and won't be with 10.11.
It's actually easier to enable in 10.10.4 or 10.10.5 than in 10.11, so you may want to just go ahead and enable it before upgrading. It'll stay enabled when you upgrade to 10.11.
Just enter
Code:
sudo trimforce enable
in Terminal, and enter your admin password when prompted, then follow the prompts and the computer will restart.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
TRIM support for 3rd party SSDs was enabled back when 10.10.4 was released. It is not automatically enabled, and won't be with 10.11.
Thank you.

What do I have to do to enable it? And is it during the installation process or after the fact?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Much appreciated. Last question: is there a way to verify trim is enabled?
You can look in System Profiler at that particular device in the SATA section where you'll see:
TRIM Support: Yes
if it's enabled.

Reactions: docprego
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.