Enabling wifi sync without usb connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by AlsoKnownAs, Sep 16, 2012.

1. AlsoKnownAs macrumors member

Hi guys,

I have a bit of a challenge for you today. A couple of weeks ago the USB ports on my MacBook Pro got fried because of a faulty powered USB hub. I used to sync my iPhone via USB cable which is now no longer possible. I'd like to still be able to sync with my phone via wifi sync but the usual way to enable this is by first connecting via USB. Can any of you come up with a way to enable wifi sync without the need to first make a connection via usb cable and doesn't require jailbreaking my iPhone?

Thanks in advance

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I guess you don't want to sync to the cloud then?

3. AlsoKnownAs thread starter macrumors member

I do my backups to iCloud and sync music via iTunes Match. I only really need to sync with my computer for movies, books and tv shows.

4. Mudskipper macrumors newbie

bump! I'm having the same issue - my iPad (first gen) won't sync over USB as the device is faulty. I'd love if I could make it be recognised in iTunes over WiFi without first having to "enable" it via USB connection... anyone able to solve this one? Much appreciated!

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Unfortunately you need to authenticate the device with iTunes (enabling wifi sync) via cable for security reasons. Wether there is a dodgy workaround I do no know.