Enclosed Macbook HDD ejects itself from new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by IAdesigner, Aug 21, 2013.

1. IAdesigner macrumors newbie

The title pretty much explains what's going on, but to elaborate i am trying to recover data from a macbook pro hdd in a hdd enclosure. Activity light comes on no problem and after a minute the hdd icon pops up on my desktop and I'm able to browse and see my old files. After a minute or two I get the error message about removing the disk improperly. Ideas on what's going on and how to resolve the issue?? Thanks!

2. macthefork, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

What kind of enclosure? Some of the USB 3 enclosures use firmware that doesn't properly spin down the HDD within it on a Mac. When the HDD spins down, (for energy savings) it "disconnects" the HDD without unmounting it properly causing the warning you're receiving.

If this is the case, check for a firmware update, or use a different enclosure. Amazon reviews are pretty good about showing which enclosures have this problem with a Mac.

I've had to return two enclosures for this very reason. I finally found one that didn't do this here. This one (which is actually a horizontal dock, but works very well) takes 3.5 or 2.5 SATA drives.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I finally found one that didn't do this here. This one (which is actually a horizontal dock, but works very well) takes 3.5 or 2.5 SATA drives."

I second the recommendation for the plugable.com "lay-flat" dock mentioned in reply #2 above.

I've been using one since January. It holds an SSD which functions as the main boot drive for my 2012 Mac Mini. Flawless performance, no disconnects, goes to sleep and wakes back up properly when ordered to do so. As good a "dock" as you're going to find.