enclosure installation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bslax28, Dec 5, 2007.

1. bslax28 macrumors member

hi - call me a noob but im having trouble getting my new hard drive enclosure to work. its the hard drive from my old pb g4... i have a 2.5" external case as someone wisely directed me to when i asked about them, and now i'm trying to set it up. it should, i imagine, just be "plug n play". but when i get the hard drive properly in there and secured and plug it in either via usb or firewire, i get nothing. ill take pictures if it they would help once my camera battery is done charging. but in the meantime, do you guys have any suggestions? this seems like it hsould be very simple. the enclosure is some generic one from ebay, if that makes any difference.

thanks a lot

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Make sure all the hard drive connections to the case are tight.. and the usb or firewire is tight to the case too .. is the case turned on to a 'working' outlet ?

3. bslax28 thread starter macrumors member

yeah. there are three cables it comes with. a fire wire cable, a usb cable, and this one that plugs in to the enclosure with one end that looks like the end of like a power adapter and the other had two usb plugs on the end, split. when i plug in the last cable i mentioned, it the drive powers up but my computer (macbook SR 2.0 ghz) still doesnt recognize it.

edit: that third cable is obviously the usb power cable. now, it has two ends, and whether i plug both in, or just one adn use the other usb cable or the firewire, it still wont show up on my macbook

4. bslax28 thread starter macrumors member

and, just to add tot hat.. here are the specs of the enclosure:

(and, the hard drive is from the last model PB g4 12" superdrive 1.5 ghz)

Brand New In Retail Box
    with Warranty

Aluminum USB 2.0/FireWire (IEEE 1394) 2.5" IDE Combo Enclosure

Slim and Solid Aluminum Body
    High performance combo case
    Truly Plug and Play - Hot Swappable