encode divx/xvid files

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by downset, May 4, 2007.

1. downset macrumors member

i have hundreds of divx/xvid files i ripped from dvd years ago using ffmpegX to .avi files

most are around 600ish x 300ish and encode around 1000kb/sec with slight variations

what is the best way/program to get those to play in appleTV

if i install the perian plugin on my appleTV can i add these files to itunes and have them sync?

if not what is the best program and settings to convert those files?

for dvd i have been using mactheripper/handbrake in Apple TV settings and that works great

2. blackbones macrumors member

3. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

4. downset thread starter macrumors member

is there any difference between visual hub and isquint

they seem to work pretty similar

isquint seems really slow on my macPro is visual hub any faster? i cant really tell from the 2 minute demo

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

iSquint is a crippled version of Visual Hub - they come from the same source. Both are nice GUI wrappers around open source utilities. I don't know about a speed difference, although there could certainly be one, but VH is as fast as you are going to get (and *much* faster than QuickTime Pro).

6. Forced Perfect macrumors 6502

Forced Perfect

VisualHub supports Xgrid encoding, which for me was worth the registration cost right there. Using both my wife's 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBook and my 1.25 GHz G4 MDD makes a big difference when encoding lots of files. I'm just waiting for someone to get a hack setup that lets me enable the Xgrid client on my Apple TV without opening the case*. :)

*I'd open it if I weren't too lazy and if I didn't think it was going to fall off my TV and kill its drive before the warranty expires. :p