Encode my whole library to AAC?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by SXR, Nov 25, 2007.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Hi,

I have around 5 GB of music in my iTunes library , most of it is MP3. I have an iPod aswell. IS it worth it to convert all that music to AAC? Do I lose quality or does it improve? What is the benefit?

I've heared that AAC is better than MP3.

SXR

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You will lose quality; leave them as they are. No point in going from one lossy format to another. Converting to AAC will not put anything back in...

3. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks, hmm I didnt seem to get A notification email...

Anyway , shall I set the setting to import in AAC format?

4. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You might as well, because 128kbps AAC is as good as 192kbps MP3 but with a smaller file size. Also, almost every other major MP3 player/music phone supports AAC now, or will shortly, meaning you should have no problems if you decide that you would prefer something different to iPod + iTunes.

5. stomer macrumors 6502a

I agree with the above. The smaller file sizes mean I can fit more music onto my iPod. As well as AAC being a better codec, MP4 is also a better container format.

Another option is to convert your CD collection to a lossless format (FLAC or Apple Lossless), then convert those files to your decided format of choice. Then if a better codec comes along in the future, it will be music easier to convert your lossless files to the new format. This will save you having to re-rip your CD collection all over again.

6. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Thanks for the replies. I have set the setting but I just imported something and its still mp3..

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Importing in iTunes' case means ripping from CD. That is where the settings have an effect... adding something to your iTunes library does simply that and as stated before, there is no point in converting your MP3s to AAC as you'll just lose quality as data is thrown away.