Encoding 720x576 DVD to fit Touch screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Gorlak, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Gorlak macrumors newbie

Hi there!

Having spent all morning playing with various methods of ripping and encoding video (DVD Decryptor, Videora, HandBrake mostly) I am having most luck and simplicity with ImTOO's DVD to Ipod Encoder.

Having done much reading around concerning aspect ratios and converting videos for ipod, I'm having trouble deciding on settings for this. The source video is 720x576 (I'm led to believe thats 16:9 Anamorphic or 1.25:1), so what size should I be setting this too for laying on the ipod?

I tried 480x384 (1.25:1) with aspect ratio set to 1.25, but this stretched the image into a square...Previous attempt with Handbrake using the Ipod Touch preset constantly stretched the file to ~650 horizontal. Does any one else have experiance with this particular aspect ratio? How do I encode without it stretching it badly? So far, I have been testing by encoding the files and then playing them with quicktime on my PC; I've not transferred them to the touch yet.

Cheers for any help,
    H

PS: I searched for other trheads on this and two came up but, while mentioning 720x576, they dont really discussing the encoding of it. Apologies if this duplicates though.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

there are a couple programs I have used and found helpful

freeware:
    videroa ipod touch converter

shareware:
    dvdfab

both will encode the file to the correct size

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Handbrake (the Mac version at least, the Windows build is a bit different) handles this fine. Just be sure to turn off anamorphic encoding and turn on keep aspect ratio, then set the files width to 480, and the height should adjust itself to somewhere in the 280-300 range automatically.

4. cjmal macrumors 6502

Handbreak will keep the aspect ratio and will remove the letterboxing if you set it to automatic crop.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ah, yes, I forgot about autocrop (it's defaulted on with the OSX version at least, and I pretty much always leave it on, so I didn't think of it). Autocrop, keep aspect ratio on, anamorphic off, set to 480 wide and let it auto size the height and you should be golden.

6. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'm using the PC Handbrake on my Core Duo 2 and it handles the res perfectly fine like they said with the Ipod Touch Profile. Unless you intend to view the file on a TV it makes no sense to go beyond the screens native resolution. I use 480 to keep the File sizes, with the appropriate bitrate, low, to maximize the space on the device and so far my encodes have looked great.

7. Gorlak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the pointers guys!

I had some success with Handbrake initally, but having to use two programs, DVD Decrypter and then Handbrake was a bit of a pain and I could see how, when you'd already selected the IPod Touch Profile, to save as an .mp4 file rather than an .mkv? I tried changing it in the Destination drop down but it wouldn't change. I only want .mp4, so I can preview them easily on my pc (yes, I do have vlc, but not on all pc's).

I will keep playing with ImTOO's DVD to IPod Converter as its an 'all in one' solution and could be easily left to do a whole series should it need to. I just need to figure out the scaling/aspect issues first. If I can't beat it, I'll have to go back to Handbrake.

I'll keep you updated on how I go! I would recommend ImTOO's software though, its quite nice to use.

Cheers
    H

8. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I'm running AnyDVD so I can Encode straight from the disk

9. Gorlak thread starter macrumors newbie

Stop the press!!

AnyDVD and CloneDVD mobile is the best solution I've found so far! Huge amount of otions, but so straight forward with good, clean results! And all done in one program (well, sorta!).

Very impressed and thanks for the suggestion!

10. i305 macrumors newbie

Hi there Gorlak! I use a program called Total Video Converter and it works perfect for me.If your interested just google it up and read up on it.I recommend it.You can convert video files in any available video format that is out there, including MPEG-4/.mov. It's also a great software to Rip DVDs, or even burn movie files to a DVD.

http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/

11. redgtxdi macrumors newbie

What I don't get is why they don't just let individual programs, like Handbrake do it all. (Supposedly some Mac versions still decrypt as well?)

Anyway as a PC user....I have no problem using 2 programs. (Decrypter/Handbrake) to accomplish the job.

What do they think they gain by trying to stop Handbrake/Videora/etc. from doing the whole thing by itself except for creating yet more spite toward the mpaa/ria in the long run??? :mad:

12. chall5 macrumors regular

So does this mean I can view a widescreen film on my Touch with no black bars above and below the picture ?

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It means that the black bars will not be part of the video file, but put there by the touch. You can double-tap the movie while it's playing and the touch will zoom in, cutting off the sides of the movie, making it cover the entire screen.

14. deldare macrumors newbie

the videora was perfect for my touch. thanks!