Encoding BluRay 1080p with Handbrake

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by coloradomtnman, Nov 12, 2009.

1. coloradomtnman macrumors newbie

Last night I installed an LG BluRay internal drive in my Mac Pro - 30 minute install. After reboot the drive was identified right away and I prepared to do testing with Blu Ray Rips to backup my BluRay of Transformers. (I)

I first used BlueRayRipper for Mac - very poor software, I highly suggest avoiding it. The audio was totally out of sync with the video, not even viewable.

I then used MakeMkv for Mac - intuitive and fast

Utilized Handbrake to encode as an MP4 full 1080p. It took a *long* time but the video quality is excellent. The only issue I have is the audio is cutting out 50% through the entire movie.

For purposes of troubleshooting can someone recommend a 'player' for MKV files to determine if my source is faulty or provide suggestions on what I may be missing on the audio settings in Handbrake?

Thanks!

2. Mr Dobey macrumors 6502

Plex

First play the .mkv with Plex, if stuttering occurs or a large lag in audio there is most likely a problem with the .mkv file. If not, go ahead and encode away.

Use the search function next time, this topic has come up many times before.