Encoding for universal (Atv, Xbox, HTPC)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Warped1, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Warped1 macrumors member

I do not know if this is even remotely possible but can anyone recommend how to encode movies in h.264 that are the most compatible? I am planning on adding an Apple TV soon and let me explain.

Rooms and devices:
    1. Media room with XP Media Center HTPC (hub), projector, Surround Sound
    2. Living room with potential Apple TV and surround sound
    3. Kids room with Xbox 360

I was planning on encoding everything with Nero Recode 2 but I recently discovered some of the movies I ripped are not playing on the Xbox. I am not sure if I used different settings, maybe the bitrate when I encoded them way back when.

So I tried Handbreak with the Apple TV setting from my macbook. Played great using quicktime on my HTPC but no 5.1 surround since ac3filter doesnt work with quicktime. The Nero codec plays them in 5.1 with ac3filter in Windows Media player but no video, its black!

Then I tried Handbreaks Xbox setting, just adding ac3 to the preset. It works decent in the Xbox but it has this weird thick stripe at the bottom on my HTPC. This did play in 5.1 on my htpc.

Any thoughts here on how to accomplish h.264 (with aac + aac 5.1) files that will work on all three units? I may just give up like I did a year ago :)

2. Nintendolinky macrumors 6502

All i can say is VisualHub. Its an amazing program which does cost money but its worth it for what it does. it can convert anything that will also will work on anything. I also remember seeing a universal preset available which would allow you to play the encoded video on many devices.