Encoding Movies on iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cmgriffi, Nov 18, 2008.

1. cmgriffi macrumors newbie

Alright, so I was trying to encode a movie so I could burn it on to a DVD on iDVD. When it was done encoding, it said there was an error.
    thats not the my main worry.

While it was encoding it was decreasing my hard drive space. it took about 5gb of it. How do I get that 5gb back. I don't know what to delete or where it was writing this file.

any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. cmgriffi thread starter macrumors newbie

3. c20ona macrumors newbie

Not used iDVD in a while to be honest but from what I remember, when encoding with iDVD, the computer allocates virtual space on your HD before eventually burning the data to disc. I found my temp file within my User / Home folder (this should vanish once burnt of course).

The reason why it may be saying there is an error could be due to the size of the project. I'm sure the max data for burning video is around 4.36GB or 4.4GB. Have a look in the Project tab and see it's status. That's the thing that annoyed me with iDVD. It would spend ages encoding then at the final burning stage, decide there was an error ?!. Why not raise this issue at the start of the process eh !. Tubes.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific though. And hope you get it sorted.

Kenny

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No special encoding is required. iDVD should accept just about any unprotected QuickTime-compatible content and convert it into DVD.