Encoding Problem; can't open avi

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chardo, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Chardo macrumors newbie

I would LOVE some help with this problem. I'm trying to play a video file on my mac and get the following error:

The movie could not be opened. Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -1.)
    The files run on a PC and ON EVERYONE ELSES MAC!!! For a couple of years these files ran on my mac also, but one day stopped and I have no idea why.

Here's the details:

Mac running 10.5.6. Quicktime Pro 7.6. Perian 1.1.3 and Flip4Mac 2.2.1.11 are installed. Also will not open with newest WMP on my computer.

It will open with VLC, but because of the number of files I need to work with, transcoding each file into an MPEG-4 would be too cumbersome.

The file is CRAM
    HELP!

Thanks so much for any help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off--the newest Windows Media Player for Mac is more than five years old. It is abandonware and no longer developed or supported by Microsoft. Microsoft now endorses Flip4Mac which you have installed.

Second--.avi is a container format. This does not tell you the formats of your video or audio tracks. VLC will tell you the formats of the audio and video tracks. The QuickTime Player on the Macs where this file works will also tell you. What are those formats?

Third--this is a public forum that is intended for Mac users to entertain, inform, and help each other. Yours is not a private question. It is precisely the kind of question that some of your fellow Mac users have asked. You should not request that this conversation offline.

3. Chardo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking interest!

In response to your points: I use QTpro but just checked with Windows Media Player since others seem to have no problem on a PC. The AVI codec (according to VLC) is CRAM. Opened on somebody else's Mac it said (I think) Windows-to-Mac as the codec, or something like that. I would love to continue the conversation here; didn't mean to take it offline. Email address deleted from first post.

Thanks again to all who try to help. Would be happy to send anybody a copy of the file, if they're interested!