encoding/ripping questions

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by acp51, Dec 21, 2010.

1. acp51 macrumors newbie

I have seen bits of this here and there, but I am haveing trouble bringing it together, so hear is my question/challenge;

I started ripping DVDs into iTunes with DVD Fab 7 for my itouch, which turned into three iTouches (me, and one for each of the kids), now I have an iPad, and we have 2 G1 :apple:TV's and 1 G2 :apple:TV. So the question is this, if I rip it for something like the itouch it looks less than stellar on the ipad or even worse on the TV, if I rip it for the TV, itunes wont let me put it on the touch or in some cases even the ipad.

So is there a way to rip them so that it works well on all of them?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Yeah, you can rip each movie twice, one at a higher res/bit rate for the aTVs and the iPad. The iPod touches can use a lower res/bit rate file.

What you need is an app that can tag the movies with the same CCID number, with the higher quality file tagged as "HD". Then in itunes, you would modify your device settings to determine with device gets which files.

Sorry for being so vague, but the method works. A google or Macrumors search on this method will get you going.

ft