Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I'm having trouble encoding Star Trek: Voyager. Why? As I understand it the CG (ships etc) have a different frame rate than the live action. When I play it, the CG sections "skips". I am using Apple TV default in handbrake with deinterlancing. Fps same as source (25). Has anyone encountered and solved this problem?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Try turning on vfr (variable frame rate) in the picture settings window provided you are using 0.9.2.

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
i've ripped the last 3 seasons (stinkin' columbia house likes to send things in reverse order so you have to keep giving them money!) with the ipod hi-res setting and i havent noticed any problems.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Im actually burning this series to my hard drive as we speak. I havent had any problems, however Im just burning the episodes themselves. Ive got TOS and TNG burned, Im working on STV, as well as DS9, and I will think about enterprise...would have to buy that series though...

gadabout

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Im actually burning this series to my hard drive as we speak. I havent had any problems, however Im just burning the episodes themselves. Ive got TOS and TNG burned, Im working on STV, as well as DS9, and I will think about enterprise...would have to buy that series though...

you should get the animated series as well. it is pretty fun. i wish i had ds9 dvds and the first 4 seasons of voyager so i could have everything in itunes!

usarcher

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2008
Maine, USA
Try turning on vfr (variable frame rate) in the picture settings window provided you are using 0.9.2.

I am having a similar issue with ST:TNG, some sections seem to have faster movement than others. Would the VFR work for this as well?

PcBgone, you said that you have already ripped ST:TNG and TOS, what settings did you use? I have ripped all with MTR just need to set a queue in HB to encode them all (I had finished season 1 and 2 of TNG before I realized the issue with the AppleTV preset and this series and have been trying to fix it).

Volante

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I have now tried various settings of bitrate (25 (source), 23.9, 29) together with VFR, but it causes audio to go out of sync (ac3 passthrough).

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Then you could try a dev snapshot of HB, its available via the HB forums in an announcement at the top of every forum. There are some fixes to vfr and ac3 av sync that might help.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
IPcBgone, you said that you have already ripped ST:TNG and TOS, what settings did you use? I have ripped all with MTR just need to set a queue in HB to encode them all (I had finished season 1 and 2 of TNG before I realized the issue with the AppleTV preset and this series and have been trying to fix it).

I simply used the AppleTv preset, and let it go. No other settings were changed, havent noticed any problems with them, with the exception of a few episodes I had to reburn from TOS, it came up as an unreadable unix file, but reburning it did fixed.

I will admit I didnt go back and watch through them all. Only the first few that I ripped..maybe I should go back and check the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.