Encoding strings for well formed URL's

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nashyo, May 19, 2012.

1. nashyo macrumors 6502

nashyo

There appears to be some distrust in the iOS SDK, specifically the NSString class method that escapes strings.

Using the following resource as guidance I have created a category class that is an extension of NSString.

http://madebymany.com/blog/url-encoding-an-nsstring-on-ios

.h
    Code:
    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

@interface NSString (URLEncoding)
    -(NSString*)urlEncodingUsingEncoding:(NSStringEncoding)encoding;
    @end
    .m
    Code:
    @implementation NSString (URLEncoding)
    -(NSString*)urlEncodingUsingEncoding:(NSStringEncoding)encoding
    {
        return (__bridge NSString*)CFURLCreateStringByAddingPercentEscapes(NULL, (__bridge CFStringRef)self, NULL, (CFStringRef)@"!*'\"();;@&=+$,/?%#[]% ", CFStringConvertNSStringEncodingToEncoding(encoding));
    }
    @end
    When I import this class and attempt to create an instance, I cannot call the class method 'alloc'. Why hasn't this been inherited?

Further, I have tried abandoning the use of this category class and simply calling some C functions as so:

Code:
    NSString *escapedString = (__bridge NSString *)CFURLCreateStringByAddingPercentEscapes( NULL, (__bridge CFStringRef)grade,	 NULL,	 (CFStringRef)@"!’\"();:@&=+$,/?%#[]% ", kCFStringEncodingISOLatin1);
    However, I'm getting issues with this also. The NSLog that follows this piece of code has a warning from Xcode (slightly above it actually in the empty space between) 'data argument not used by format string':

NSLog(@"Test", escapedString);

Such a simple task, yet so many errors. What am I doing wrong here?

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper