encoding xvid w/ handbrake - how long?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sohaness, May 12, 2007.

1. sohaness macrumors member

hi folks,

im encoding a dvd that i ripped with handbrake, and im wondering how long - on average - this is supposed to take?

i've ripped the main feature w/ mac the ripper and it comes in at about 5 gigs.

im then encoding it with handbrake / mediafork as an xvid with 128 mp3 audio for a target file size of 700 megs. outputting at a resolution of 640x480. its estimating 3 hours!!
    im running a mac pro xeon 3ghz w/ 4 gigs of ram.

3 hours...is this normal???

thanks!
    steve.

2. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Hmmm that sounds like a very long time to me but to be honest, when I tried encoding it was on a totally different platform and software but I recall it taking about an hour and a half on a P4 3.0 with hyperthreading on XP Pro encoding Divx (and not Xvid) at default settings with a resolution of 640x480. Also for software I was using something called DVDx.

3. sohaness thread starter macrumors member

it seems to only take this long when encoding from a VIDEO_TS directory on the hard drive.

when i use handbrake to rip and encode off the dvd disc in one shot, it only takes about 30 minutes.

odd...

4. winchest macrumors regular

That is bizarre. Could it be that particular movie that was ripped as well or is it faster from DVD with that movie? I have had issues with some files more so than others with the current handbrake beta.

5. nurfen macrumors member

Just make sure not to read and write to the same drive. This is the reason it's going much faster when ripping on-the-fly.

6. Trekkie macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Use h.264 instead! ;) Sorry I just hate having to search for something compatible with my Apple TV and only finding these other encoders out there.

I keep hoping handbrake will enable Xgrid somehow. That'd be fun.