Encrypt Mail

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by harry*333, Feb 28, 2015.

1. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

I'm looking for a way to have my saved emails be encrypted but still easily accessible through Apple Mail. I do not want to use file vault or any other full hard drive encryption though.

I realize there may(probably) is no solution to this but if anyone has any ideas...

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Comodo Free Email Certificate might be what you are looking for. Just remember to send secure love email the recipient has to be using your same public key.

3. harry*333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry*333

Not quite. I'm not concerned with encrypting emails in transmission but rather after I've sent/received and have them locally stored on my hard drive.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    [[ not concerned with encrypting emails in transmission but rather after I've sent/received and have them locally stored on my hard drive. ]]

Wouldn't FileVault do this (along with encrypting everything else)?

WARNING!
    Don't use FileVault unless you're aware of the dangers if you forget your password.

It's powerful, but along with that power comes responsibility (on your part)...

5. harry*333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry*333

I don't want to encrypt everything though. I don't really care for 99% of my data, and for the files I do want secure I have stored in an encrypted dmg. But I can't exactly put all my mail stuff in there and still access them through the app.

6. dyt1983, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

7. leman macrumors 604

Just use FileVault, it will do what you need and will save you a lot of headache. Just be sure to store the recovery key somewhere safe.

8. harry*333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry*333

I think this may be the only way to do it, just not very clean. I suppose I'll give it a try and see how reliable it is.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

I’m not sure whether that is an elegant solution. It will not encrypt your mails on the webserver, just those local copies on your Mac. If your Mac is ever compromised, it would not be all that difficult to purge these local copies and prompt Mail to download them again, unencrypted. If you’re serious about mail encryption, I suggest using a mail provider that offers S/MIME or PGP encryption. FileVault would also be a much better protection, as it will not only protect your data but will also prevent access to your device (e.g. by mounting your hard drive on another Mac). FileVault is ultimately a very convenient solution with a barely noticeable performance impact.

10. dyt1983, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.