Encrypt USB 3.0 Main Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by melman101, Oct 16, 2013.

1. melman101 macrumors 68030

Hey all! I just got a rMBP 2013 13" 8GB/128GB/i5 2.5gHz. I put my iPhoto and iTunes library on my external 1.5TB hard drive. Do you think I should encrypt it (for security/password reasons?) I have about 750gb used. How would the performance be affected? What about Aperture? I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to encrypt, but also probably not a good idea to take around either.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why? What's on it? :confused: Nobody can attest to the value of what's on that drive but you so how can we answer this?

I boot into an external encrypted drive all the time (file vault) and don't really notice any performance issues. It's even an old 5400rpm drive running off a USB2 port. (takes forever to boot of course).

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have any data on a drive you do not want falling into enemy hands, then yes by all means encrypt it. The Aperture library and everything else will work just fine. There will be a very slight write performance hit.

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I encrypt my external drives--no reason not to really IMO--I don't notice any performance loss so it makes sense to me to protect my data.

5. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, I was reading an article that said it would take a 20-30% performance hit and that worried the ****** out of me, especially since I am using Aperture.

It looks like my worries about performance are not really warranted. I'm thinking about doing this now actually. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Any other input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh and I don't have anything top secret other than my pictures of my family and my iTunes library

6. melman101 thread starter macrumors 68030

Kashsystems, thanks that helped alleviate some of the performance fears I've been having.

I've encrypted my 128GB SSD internal drive. Wondering if that was the right move for me, LOL :). I'm thinking of turning it off. Hahaha. However, this is a work bought laptop so my boss really is encouraging me to keep it on.

But I don't think I'm going to encrypt the external. I think most of the time I'm gonna leave it home so no need for it to be encrypted I think.

7. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Only reason to encrypt your external is because you have personal information or items you want protected in case of theft.

I know in certain industries company computers are required to be encrypted because of information that is stored.