Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Hi, hope someone can help here (and if there's a better place for this post, please go ahead and transfer)

I'm trying to get properly organised by automating regular password-secured backups of important files. I want them to be easily transferable between my home PC (running on Win XP, believe it or not), my Macbook Air and an online server. I've cracked it all on the Windows side, by fiddling around with DOS for a few days (that was the hard bit - I'm already a bit familiar with Unix command line stuff, so doing the same on the Mac shouldn't in principle be so time-consuming), and am automatically uploading password protected .7z files. This is done on the DOS command line, using the following command:

pathtofile\7za.exe a -t7z -ppassword "endfile.7z" "file.txt"​

Hurrah for that. Everything looks fine on the Windows side. I can open the files in two different GUI programs, 7-zip and IZarc, whether or not they're password protected. The problem is that I haven't yet managed to find a program on the Mac side that properly recognises these files. Well, to be precise, they do read them properly when they're not password protected, but anything with a password gets the following message:

Unsupported Method of Compression or wrong password while extracting item "file.7z"​

Of course I've tested them to exhaustion, so I'm sure that it's nothing to do with putting in the wrong password. I've tried with four different programs on the Mac (ExpressZip, Keka, The Unarchiver, Zipeg). This is very puzzling. Why on earth would it work in two different Windows programs and not one of the Mac programs which I mentioned? Is there some fundamental cross-platform issue which I haven't understood?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance,

H

heatopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Well, I realise that my post hasn't been here very long, but in the absence of a reply, just to let y'all know that I have finally found a program which does recognise the files. 7zx. It's not particularly versatile. Very basic drag'n'drop, but hey, it works. Available here:

http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/

Now I have to work out how to get this stuff to work on the Unix command line. Hopefully not too time-consuming. Wish me luck!

heatopher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Hi. Thanks for that. I'll have a look at it later. I've just got p7zip working at the command line, so I guess I'm nearly all set now on the Mac side. I'm not too bothered about having a fancy GUI to sort out these particular files. The last thing will be to see whether I can work with .7z files on my online server. Not certain about whether they'll make it simple :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.