Encrypted Backup Solution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by EnzoAmata, Feb 25, 2015.

1. EnzoAmata, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Can I have a network attached storage where the drive/drives attached are encrypted before hand with File Vault?

It seems anyone can disconnect a drive and look at what's on it. Living in a flat share that means anyone wanting to have a look at my files could do so, doesn't seem safe at all.

So does anyone have a solution where I can get to my files when not at home with the knowledge that no-one is using the drive when I'm away.

'What you do is encrypt a disk image stored on the NAS" - is this a solution? - https://discussions.apple.com/message/26467713#26467713

With the encrypted disk being a set size, it would have to be transfer'd each time it was used, so a 1gb disk would put a heavy load on the network if you only wanted to change one file. Can you make a disk with a set limit that only fills as you at to it?

Update: Create a Dynamically Resizable Disk Image

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502

If the thread topic is relevant to your post, the solution is this: When you select a backup drive for TimeMachine, you should have a checkbox, "Encrypt backups". Tick it. Problem solved.

3. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I'm asking about adding files to a NAS not a TimeMachine Backup.

4. dyt1983, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

5. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I created a 1TB image sparse bundle today and without anything in it, it sits at 700mbs+ - So I'd be at least uploading and loading a 700mb field over my network each and every time, or as you say it will treat it with block access?

Can you point to me to where I can learn more about block access, I'm not familiar with what it does? (or a simple explanation would be nice, so I don't have to wade through pills of text to get the grasp) ;)

6. dyt1983, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Which NAS product are you using? Many already support encryption.

8. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I've bought a File Transporter and I can't seem to get it to work the way I'm explaining. I was thinking of moving to Synology, but before I do Iw ant to make sure it's possible to do what I'm asking. Seems like you should be able to do it.

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The Synology supports folder encryption. Your room mates would not be able to just plug in your drive and see files in encrypted folders.

However, the cheaper Synology models are a bit underpowered and will slow down when using encryption. IIRC, it's not so bad for a small number of large files, but it is especially bad for a large number of small files.

If you already have a File Transporter it seems like you should just try the encrypted DMG solution already mentioned and test for yourself if the performance is acceptable.

10. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Can anyone recommend a NAS that does this with ease which is a consumer product and not high end or business?

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.haystacksoftware.com/arq/

Just an idea, but I use Arq to backup to Amazon's S3 servers. But Arq also supports backup to SFTP and many of the even low end NAS devices like those from Synology support SFTP server. Arq encrypts the data before it leaves your machine. So I was thinking a Synology NAS as the SFTP server with Arq on the Mac would do what you want.

12. EnzoAmata, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I'll look into this. I was hoping to avoid running my own server, I was trying to avoid buying a Mac Mini and running my own server. I don't know how big a drive I can squeeze in there?!

I wonder if it can be used with a File Transporter and encrypt individual files before transfer. I've just asked them ;)