Encrypted backups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I'm about to encrypt my hard drive with PGP Whole Disk, since Filevault just isn't good enough.

I want encrypted backups too, and don't want to use standard OS X encrypted disk images.

I plan to backup to a Truecrypt image or Truecrypt encrypted disk with either Time Machine or Super Duper. Has anybody done this?

To restore from a backup, I'd assume I'd first need to decrypt the backup disk, then restore it from the OS X installer as usual. Would this work? Has anybody done this before? So long as I copy all files, visible and invisible, everything should work fine - right?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Things to watch out for. TrueCrypt seems to only support FAT. I started looking at if having NTFS-3G lets this be changed, but haven't confirmed anything.

Also, you'll have to make sure the encrypted backup volume is present when the backup occurs, which you may be trying to run on a schedule so you won't always be present to give the password for.

I haven't given PGP a try for full disk so can't give more insight than that.

3. tonyled macrumors member

i use truecrypt quite a bit on both ntfs and fat and have had no problems, havent tried it on the mac yet though. i agree, the partition must be present for the backup to occur so this might pose a problem depending on your setup. pgp is going to be more of a set it and forget it solution but i use pgp quite a bit at work and have grown to hate it.

edit: (oops i meant i use truecrypt on ntfs and ext3 with zero problems) thinking about one thing and typed another. just havent tried it with the mac yet

4. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Thanks. Truecrypt can create HFS+ volumes, I'll give it a go and I'll post back here in case it helps anybody else out.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

PGP WDE doesn't support Snow Kitty right now. Just keep that in mind if you plan to use or am using Snow Leopard.

6. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

May I ask why, on both counts?