Encrypted disk image did not burn encrypted

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Schtibbie, May 5, 2007.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Grumble.. This business of backing up the Mac really sucks. Ok, so I used Disk Utility to create a 4.7gig sparse disk (encrypted), copied my document folder in there, and then unmounted it. I was left with a nicely encrypted documents.spareimage file on the desktop. So far so good.

So, I go into Disk Utility where I see that image, select it in the left pane and click the Burn icon. It asks for my password and proceeds to burn a DVD.

But when I open the DVD, it has all my stuff UNencrypted - not in an encrypted disk image like I thought i was burning!!

What am I doing wrong?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's no such thing really as an encrypted DVD. What you're doing wrong is that you're imaging the DVD with the disk image. You want to instead copy the disk image as a *file* onto the DVD. Then, you'll get a DVD that you can open without a password, but on the DVD, there will be an encrypted diskimage that, just like when on your desktop, will not be readable without password.

I believe the simplest way to do this is to put the DVD-R in the drive, open it in Finder, and then drag the disk image into the folder in finder and click the burn button. You should see the disk image as a file on the drive (e.g. you could, in principle, add more files).

3. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Yay! Thanks - that did it. It took about an hour to do the "Verifying" part - for a 4.7gig DVD. No matter. It got done and ended up encrypted.