Encrypted DMG cracking?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slughead, Jul 29, 2007.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

I have a DMG I password protected a couple years ago and I have no clue as to what the password is.

I would like to recover its contents, and I was wondering if there were any password cracking programs out there to do this efficiently.

I could write my own but I doubt it'd be very quick about it.

It's alphanumeric as well as having some special characters (!@#$%^&*()_)

I know it could take a while, I want to run it when my computer would otherwise be idle--probably for some weeks, I'd imagine.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

i doubt you're going to get that kind of advice here. it probably violates some sort of forum rules.

3. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

I've been here a long time, I've never heard of anything like that.

Anyways, after doing some math, it looks like I'm better off just saying goodbye to the data.

with all those permutations, at 2 tries per second, it'd take over 5 million years

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

If it's really important, don't just throw it away though. Computing power grows so quickly that who know, maybe it'll be able to be cracked using brute force within a decade or two.

Edit: Oh, and if you happen to know anyone at a university or government agency who has access to a super computer... Just remember, big brother is always watching. The NSA could break through your encryption in a couple of shakes of a stick.