encrypted email

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stevendemunter, Jul 13, 2014.

1. stevendemunter macrumors newbie

I would like to be able to send and read encrypted mail on my IOS devices.
    I already have a gpg key which i use on my windows pc(outlook)

Are their any apps that support encrypted mail and how do i import my key into these apps?

2. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Most email 3rd party apps like Gmails standalone app are all encrypted. Even the native apps you can choose from your phone but if looking through the app store at 3rd party email apps the Dev will tell you if the server is encrypted and if it is 128 or 256 bit encryption or not.

3. stevendemunter thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but i am not using a gmail adress its a proffesional email adres i am using

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Are you saying that Gmail and most other services somehow encrypt the content of your email as it's being routed and sent online and then decrypt it for the recipient?

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Gmail and related apps encrypt during transit only. The OP is referring to encrypting the actual contents, which is far more secure.

6. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Yes if you look to prove this send a gmail from your desktop through gm,ail and you will see https with the "S" meaning secure. Gmail cannot read your email and when you receive it is is safe, They use other methods to gather info about the sender for marketing but that is about all.

----------

I understand what the OP is saying and also agree with what you are saying but i assure you Gmail cannot read the contents of anyones email.

7. C DM, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

The HTTPS relates to the securing of the transmission between you and the server you are using at the time, not for encryption of the contents you are actually transmitting as they make their way through the internet going from server to server (servers from all kinds of different providers and places) and finally coming to their destination.

In fact Google themselves is only starting to preview full encryption just within the last month or so through a separate add on, as mentioned at http://www.informationweek.com/mobi...ogle-previews-gmail-encryption/d/d-id/1269433

So, yes, Gmail encrypts/secures data on their end, but not beyond it, where it's still not encrypted (unless something beyond Gmail is used to encrypt it).

8. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

I agree with you 100% but I truly do not believe anybody has anything to worry about in between you sending it and someone getting it, It is going to be exposed to be read.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

I agree that generally there's nothing to worry about. But, as it stands, without something external being in use, Gmail and most other services aren't fully encrypted, just at one part perhaps. That might or not matter to some (in particular in this thread perhaps), although for most it's not an issue.

10. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

They can read the email; that's how they generate ads based off of the email message body. I have tested this myself and found that changing the text of the email altered the ads. If there's no local encryption using a key that only you generate and control, it's not secure.

OP, have you looked at iPGMail? Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipgmail/id430780873?mt=8