Encrypted Folder

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hcaroselli, May 31, 2014.

1. hcaroselli macrumors newbie

I used Disk Utility to create an encrypted folder (.dmg) on an external hard drive. That worked fine and now I supply the password so I can open the folder.

My question is, how can I Move or Paste additional documents to this folder? I select documents and do a Copy, and when I go to the the encrypted folder which is open, I cannot Paste or Move. It simply does not show as an option.

If I cannot add data to this folder once it has been encrypted this feature is useless to me. What am I missing? What about 3rd party encryption apps?

Thanks.
    Hector

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Make sure that the volume, folder or .dmg file is not write protected!

3. hcaroselli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I had not thought of that but when I select the encrypted folder and go to Get Info, the Sharing and Permissions section shows that I do have read/write permissions.

Must be something else?

Thanks again.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can't add to that DMG because you created the wrong type of DMG. You made a encrypted DMG of an existing folder and that cannot be added to. What you want to do is create a NEW encrypted sparse disk image DMG with DU of the size you want. Then once you create the DMG open it and drag in the folder you want. You will be able to open it again and add more data as you wish. If you use the sparse disk image format the DMG size will only be as large as the contents, even though you specified a larger total DMG size.

Just follow this guide.

5. hcaroselli thread starter macrumors newbie