Encrypted Momentus drives...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sesshi, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

...is there a way to use it on a Macbook / Macbook Pro?

It's idle curiosity at this stage, but something that I wondered about.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I doubt it. Its password is managed via BIOS.

Though the product overview does say

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I definitely an encrypted HDD that allows me to watch pr0n without having to bother with decrypting 1080p. :D

And no I don't think they can be used just yet—it's plausible to say maybe Apple will implement it with the EFI password?

4. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Meh. Frankly, I don't really trust drives with built-in encryption. Many of them have poorly-implemented algorithms (some actually just use XOR... yes, I'm serious), and I have no way to verify the operation of the ones that do claim to use more advanced crypto.

I tend to trust software crypto a lot more, esp. when it's seen the level of analysis that things like Mac OS X's encrypted images and TrueCrypt have.

5. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1. I remember discussion about a drive a while ago questioning the onboard encryption on one drive. Source here. I'm pretty sure the drive maker has corrected it though.

Personally, I like packing my own parachute, so I much rather use something very secure like TrueCrypt. I then place the TrueCrypt container in a sparsebundle volume so Time Machine can back up bands as opposed to the whole container when stuff changes.

For archiving of data, I can use StuffIt Deluxe which has AES encryption built in.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

what's wrong with using file vault? isn't that pretty secure by itself?