encrypted time machine and raid 1

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by helveta, Oct 16, 2012.

1. helveta macrumors member

My understanding is that there is no way to encrypt a raid 1 backup drive for use with time machine. Is this correct? Does anyone know of any backup software that can be used with an encrypted raid 1 drive?

My main computer is a mba that I take home every night. My backup is a LaCie 2big that sits on my desk at the office. My industry requires all my data to be encrypted? Anyone have a solution?

2. LaCieTech macrumors member

hi,

Depending on the model of 2Big, the RAID is hardware encrypted - meaning that the computer doesn't even know its a RAID. This shouldn't pose any interruption on your backups and you can encrypt the volume any way you see fit.

If its a Thunderbolt 2Big though, those are not hardware encrypted and we will have to help you figure out another solution to encryption.

Please give our tech team a call at 503.844.4500 (USA) or a ticket at www.lacie.com/mystuff to help determine the best course of action.

~michael, LaCie

3. helveta thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your response. Yes it is a Thunderbolt 2big. I opened ticket 102331690.