Encrypted Time Machine Backups

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chubzz, Nov 5, 2013.

1. chubzz macrumors newbie

Hello All,

When encrypting a backup with Time Machine on an external hard drive does the entire external HD get encrypted or only the backup file gets encrypted? Will I still be able to freely use my external hard drive between multiple Mac's after the encryption process?

2. Bear macrumors G3

It encrypts the whole drive. And yes you will be able to use the encrypted drive on other Macs, you just need to know what password you used when encrypting the drive.

3. chubzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it - thanks for the quick response.

I also found out that it'll wipe any data from the external hard drive in order to proceed with the initial encryption.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

You know you can share the drive over then network and not have to physically move the TimeMachine disk between Macs. This makes sense if one of the Macs is a desktop machine, just leave the drive plugged in 24x7 and share it.

Also you will likely want a second, new drive and encrypt that one then add it as a SECOND TimeMachine drive. The encryption process will mean you old backup data will be removed. So keep the current drive and add a second one. After the new drive is finished with its initial backup and working, then encrypt the old one. Otherwise you are without any backup for quite some time.