Encrypting a Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Supp0rtLinux, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Supp0rtLinux macrumors member

I recently bought a Lexar 16Gb Express Card SSD drive and have Chronosync copying my local Documents folder to it. I would like to encrypt the drive, but don't want to use any third party software (ie: no TrueCrypt). In Disk Utility, I only see options for erasing (formatting) or making encrypted images, but not for encrypting an entire drive. At present, I don't encrypt my main HD as I know Time Machine can't back it up if its encrypted. The problem with an encrypted image is getting it to automount... I can put the 16Gb SSD in, but it won't automatically mount the encrypted image on it. So, is there a way... using only stock, built-in OS X tools, to encrypt a single hard disk, even one that's considered a "removable drive"?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The encrypted image may not automount, but when the Chronosync sync starts, it will prompt you for the image password and mount it.

I'm also pretty sure you could use a folder action on the Volumes folder to watch for the disk to be mounted and then mount the image via a shell command or automator workflow or applescript. I'm sure there are more ways to mount the image automatically