Encrypting a USB Drive - How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by velighteros, Dec 14, 2010.

1. velighteros macrumors newbie

Recently my USB was confiscated a... disagreement, and it was scanned through and numerous project files were deleted in them. While nothing can be done now, I'd like to prevent this in the future by encrypting a USB drive.

I understand that applications like TrueCrypt can create a disk image on my USB to encrypt it, but if I'm moving around and usign or lending out the USB to other people and want to access and add in/remove files in the encrypted USB, how can I do so if TrueCrypt is not originally installed on the computer?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

First thought that comes to mind is create multiple partitions. One for encryption, and one to be used as a drop box (permissions allowing write, but not read or execute) and other non-sensitive documents. There's isn't really encryption software that you can always expect to be available. You can keep a install file for TrueCrypt on your unencrypted partition though so you can install it as need be.

3. MDiak47 macrumors newbie

Go to the truecrypt website...There is documentation on on creating a USB that can be ran in "Portable Mode." The documentation is quite complicated on how to achieve this, it depends on what length you want to go to keep your files encrypted...

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

5. PrePressAcrobat macrumors member

I usually just turn my files, or folders, into an encrypted "Disk Image" and place them where ever I care to.
    Then one need the password to mount the image to open the file - or folder.

MSD