Encrypting backups on Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rikscha, May 30, 2013.

1. rikscha, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013

rikscha macrumors 6502a

I am using a time capsule to backup my Mac. Since ML you have the option to encrypt your backups, which I did not do at the beginning.

If you choose now to encrypt your backups, time machine will tell you that it will have to erase your existing unencrypted backups and start over.

I don't mind starting from scratch but was wondering if time machine will erase the whole hard drive or the backups only? I am using my Time capsule as a NAS drive as well and have all my ripped movies on there. I assume that it will only delete the old backups but wanted to make sure someone can confirm.

thanks.

2. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took the plunge and it worked out as expected, it will only delete the backup and leaves your other files untouched. case closed.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Just out of curiosity.... you are not backing up any data on the NAS correct?

If it is just ripped movies... then I can understand (since movies are all "re-aquirable)... but if you had some original data on the NAS... then I am pretty sure that data would be not able to be part of your backup set... or even if it was, the primary data and the backup would be on the same drive.

One more thing: You are "encrypting", not "decrypting".

/Jim

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Daredevil.:cool:

5. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

I fixed the decry.. encry.. confusion, thanks.

I only have movies on that drive, no other original data. I do not really care to backup these rips as I can always re-rip or re-buy on iTunes etc. This was probably one of the reasons, why I took the plunge :)

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Got it.

I have a few copies of my movie collection... but I do not waste the space on my TC to back them up... nor do I waste my bandwidth to the cloud to back them up on Crashplan.

I actually question if I want to acquire any more movies. I suspect that we will be moving to a full subscription model in time as services like Netflix et al improve their selection and "every movie ever made" is available on a subscription basis. Until then... I just rent online rather than buy... unless it is really something special that I want.

Another way of putting it... I look at my collection of movies... and wonder "why I ever bought them".

/Jim

7. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly that. The idea is to get everything on demand in future. Most of the movies are just sitting on my TC and will probably not be watched again.