Encrypting my Windows Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SCOLANATOR, Apr 1, 2015.

1. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Hi,

I know its easy and straight forward to encrypt my OS X partition as well as have a firmware password. But I also have Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 installed via bootcamp, I'm wondering what would be the best and most straight forward way to encrypt this partition?
    Thanks

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I would probably go with TrueCrypt (have to find a mirror, as it is no longer maintained, but still useful), or go with VeraCrypt. If you don't mind spending money, BestCrypt is something I have used for years.

Another alternative is to run VMWare or Parallels... both can encrypt Windows VMs.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

BitLocker. But I'm not sure whether it's supported on a Mac or not, because BitLocker requires a TPM chip (if I remember right).

4. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Thanks, I might just wait until Windows 10 comes out and encrypt everything then.

Is there any further steps needed after Firmware password + partitions encrypted to make this thing truly secure?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope. Encrypting every partition plus an EFI password is already the most you can do.

Unless, you don't mind creating a separate encrypted large DMG file for you to put all your data inside. That'd make it double-encrypted.

6. doynton macrumors 6502

It doesn't require TPM (you can use a password or a USB) but 7 Pro doesn't include bitlocker - you need enterprise or ultimate.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well...

On computers without a compatible TPM, BitLocker can provide encryption, but not the added security of locking keys with the TPM. In this case, the user is required to create a startup key that is stored on a USB flash drive.

8. doynton macrumors 6502

Well yes, exactly. Macs don't have TPM - what is your suggestion? Solder one in?

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Just use the half-baked BitLocker solution that's for systems without TPM, or better still, if the OP wants to encrypt everything completely, don't use Windows.

10. doynton macrumors 6502

A wonderful macrumors answer :D

"How do I do something in Windows?"

"Don't use Windows"

11. SCOLANATOR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

I've not got anything to hide so I don't need national security levels of encryption. Just enough so I know that if I lose my laptop there's virtually no chance of them ever getting at my data. Some of us need to use Windows.

So to recap it would be fine to use an EFI password (as I currently do), Filevault on OS X and Bitlocker on Windows?