Encrypting NAS

Zipforia

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
I have two HDDs attached to my AirPort Extreme via powered USB hub. One is my TimeMachine backup and other is media storage. My TimeMachine is encrypted, but how do I encrypt my other media drive on my MBP using FileVault? I'm using Mavericks. Thanks in advance.

Z.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have two HDDs attached to my AirPort Extreme via powered USB hub. One is my TimeMachine backup and other is media storage. My TimeMachine is encrypted, but how do I encrypt my other media drive on my MBP using FileVault? I'm using Mavericks. Thanks in advance.

Z.
What you need to do is create a encrypted sparse bundle disk image on the external drive. Follow the instructions here. Once you crate the bundle you can mount it Finder then enter the password. The bundle will expand to fill the drive as you add files to it. Make sure you eject the bundle DMG when you are done otherwise it is "open" and the files can be viewed.

This is actually what Time Machine encryption is doing for you on the other drive, it is just transparent to you.

EnzoAmata

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Will this mean that you at constantly syncing the full size of the disk each time you make even a small change?