Encrypting Time Capsule without Time Machine

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by malone, May 24, 2014.

1. malone macrumors member

Hi! I've tried searching Google and the forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this:

Is it possible to enable whole-disk encryption via FileVault for the Time Capsule shared drive (much like one might do for a USB- or Thunderbolt- drive thru Disk Utilities), without enabling Time Machine?

Thanks!

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Time Machine does not use full-disk encryption on a Time Capsule, it creates an encrypted sparsebundle and mounts that as the backup volume. Disk Utility will let you create encrypted sparsebundles, though I have never tried to make one on a Time Capsule.

A.

3. malone thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I'm aware of that limitation, which is why I'm asking if one can do FDE/WDE to the Time Capsule :)

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Sorry, your use of the phrase "without enabling Time Machine?" led me to believe that you thought you could do it if you enabled Time Machine.

5. chabig macrumors 601

Since the Time Capsule drive is a shared resource, I don't think FileVault encryption makes any sense. If you just want your own files to be secure, try making an encrypted disk image on the Time Capsule drive.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No you cannot. OS X FDE uses Filevault to create an encrypted core storage volume on the drive and that cannot be gone on a Time Capsule.

You option would be to create a encrypted sparse bundle like Alrescha mentioned.