Encryption petition, passwords, security etc.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpt-matthew, Aug 24, 2010.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

Right, I want to secure my mac.

Firstly, i understand a boot up BIOS password doesn't password the hard drive (i.e. you just take the hard drive out and someone can access all your documents). Is there any point in having a boot up password?

The password that you set in security settings. Can you make it so that it cannot be removed by a system reset or password remover etc.

Encrypted petition of the hard drive.
    This seems like the best option.
    Could i have say 20Gb of my hard drive encrypted, so that if someone stole my hard drive, documents stored in this petition could not be accessed.
    How would i go about this.

And time capsule.
    How do i ensure that if someone steels my time capsule the data on it is secure and encrypted?

2. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have created those password protected DMGs and no files are left outside of it (except those files that can of course), Time Machine (Time Capsule is just a TM drive anyway) will backup those password protected DMGs and let them stay encrypted.

Thus, if that TC gets stolen, the DMGs will still be password protected on that TM backup.

4. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, that's great!

Will this still work with sparsebundles because they seem a bit better because they only take up as much space as the data stored within them.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yep, that will work too.

6. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

thanks