Encryption question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by italiano40, May 4, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

What is better apple's file vault or truecrypt for encrypting a whole system?

2. ankou macrumors newbie

isn't file vault encrypts only your home folder? I don't think it's "all the system", so I'm not sure it would work for you in this case.
    sorry, cannot tell anything about the other soft.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why would you need to encrypt the entire system? You should only need to encrypt your documents and files which are in your user directory (or should be anyway).

4. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

I work for a company and they want to look into encrypting Whole drives not just the files in the home files

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Yes but why? What is the point of encrypting OS level files? They do not contain company secrets. They are available unencrypted to any person who owns a Mac. Encrypting them seems like a rather large waste of time.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Filevault system lets you encrypt the virtual memory, etc, too. It's generally accepted as being equivalently secure, because OS X is well-behaved with respect to file locations, to full disk encryption. Most companies that sign off on Truecrypt or the Vista system on Windows sign off on Filevault on Macs (and have for some time). I know our hospital IT accepts Filevault.

But yeah, if you really decide you need full disk encryption on a Mac, then probably Truecrypt is the way to go.

(FWIW, I use Filevault on my Mac and LUKS/dm-crypt, a FDE solution, in Linux).

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Secure virtual memory is a separate feature to Filevault. You can have one without the other.