End of an era! No 10.15 Catalina for MacPro 5,1!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by calmasacow, Jun 5, 2019.

1. calmasacow macrumors member

calmasacow

2. Mindgap macrumors newbie

Mindgap

Kind of sad and usually I would not really care but in this case I would love to experience using the iPad as an input device together with the pen to maybe get rid of my Wacom tablet. That’s the only feature I really would like to have if it is any good.

Otherwise, I stick witch Mojave until the end of time for my beloved 5,1.

3. dontpokebearz macrumors member

Catalina is reported to be working on the 5,1. It requires tinkering, but should hopefully get better as DP progresses.

Honestly, Duet Display or Luna Display will work on Mojave, and honestly may perform better. Side Car seems to have limitations.

4. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Or it could suddenly, absolutely fail if later builds are optimized for the instruction sets for Ivy Bridge processors.

5. dontpokebearz macrumors member

Absolutely - let's hope it doesn't.

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

And, of course, there's no reason that it has to fail due to optimizations.

It's pretty easy to write code that uses the new instructions if they are present, and the old instructions if the new ones are not present. If the software developer is lazy this might not be done (or if the software developer also sells hardware and wants to create an artificial barrier to force hardware upgrades).

7. jjjoseph macrumors 6502

If you can put a Metal compatible GPU in the MacPro 5,1 (WHICH YOU CAN), killing 5,1 now has an obvious reason. Apple says they have a new MacPro, so E.O.L. the 5,1. Apple has spoken. Now go buy a MacPro 7,1!

8. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

If your vendor updated systems regularly, this would be NO BIG DEAL. Since Apple has been in Rip Van Winkle mode for so long, it is a BIG DEAL for cMP users.

2½ years ago my main server lab was moved to a new building. One part of that move was "move E5-v2 (Ivy Bridge) and newer systems. eWaste anything older." For my HPE ProLiant DL servers, that meant "trash anything older than a G8".

If you have a cMP - it's time to get quotes on replacement systems (or accept that you won't get OS updates).

The "use by" date on the cMP has expired. Throw them in the electronics recycle bin.