End Of Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MeeMac, Dec 12, 2014.

1. MeeMac macrumors regular

Did the new Amazon Fire TV just end the future market for Apple TV?

With Amazon Fire TV you have access to Amazon Prime; which Amazon will never place on Apple TV.

So now it looks like a battle between iTunes and Amazon Prime.

How will Apple respond to the Amazon Fire TV?
    :eek::apple:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Hardly. There are plenty of Apple TV users who don't care about Amazon Prime (whatever that is), myself included.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm plenty happy with my Apple TV's and have little desire towards any of the competitors. It may not be the best in the way of multiple options, but it suits my needs.

4. XmeX macrumors regular

The only reason pushed me to get this product is mirroring FaceTime but after IOS 8 mirroring FT being incredibly sucks ... Thank you

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

FaceTime mirroring? Can it do that, or did you mean display mirroring from a Mac? :confused:

6. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

When we want to see something on Amazon Prime, we AirPlay it to our Apple TV from our iPhone or iPad. Works quite well.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Try and get more hardcore apple fans.

8. XmeX macrumors regular

End Of Apple TV?

Yes mirroring the video calls from ipad/iPhone , was perfect on iOS 7,
    Currently the resolution is incorrect

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Until the Amazon Fire provide mirroring for iOS devices and Macs I don't see any threat for Apple devices. People with Android Phones may be able to do other stuff with the FireTV?

I like Amazon Prime, but to watch on the TV I use the PS3.

10. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Watch Disney channels are the only thing keeping my ATV3 connected as every other device even the Fire TV plays them like mud. YouTube was also an exception but now there are ads in that so I use ProTube on the Fire TV.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I didn't know it could do that. How is it supposed to work?

12. XmeX macrumors regular

13. From A Buick 8, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014

From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What is available through Amazon prime that is not available through itunes.

14. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

15. XmeX macrumors regular

Currently I'm on IOS 8.1.2

16. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Yes... but not just the Apple TV. Apple as whole has been destroyed by the Amazon Fire TV.

17. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

Yep and Yep.

Personally, I have a Roku XDS that has had Amazon Prime longer than the Fire has been in existence. Not much reason to buy a Fire just for Amazon Prime. However, if you like to talk to your remote like Gary Busey, it would be your top choice.

[​IMG]

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

19. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

20. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

TiVo, in addition to the other aggregators posted here, offers Amazon Prime, so it isn't impossible that Amazon would make it available to AppleTV. For $99 (or less at Best Buy and during sales) having an AppleTV is cheap enough to have just for its stream-anything-from-any-Apple-device abilities, including, as another poster mentioned, Amazon Prime.

I may not be the target demo, but I think AppleTV has been very poorly marketed; it's a much more useful device than most people know.

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Agreed, but Apple doesn't appear to care to market it as their last classification of the device was a "hobby" and we've not seen any updates in a long time aside from adding new channels to it.

I do wish they'd update it some, perhaps let third-party dev's write for it. Then it would really take off I think.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

4K video it's the only main difference of interest if you have a 4K TV. However some reviews in cnet indicate that between streaming 4K and a Blu-Ray disc, there is still some perception differences that the streaming is not significantly better than the disc. Either way Netflix which also has some 4K content is available in almost all devices.
    I don't remember but can't you stream Amazon prime from an iOS device to AppleTV?

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

For a long time, no, it wasn't possible. But then earlier this year, or last year, they finally allowed it.

24. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

I have Prime and Netflix. I have an ATV and Roku. I NEVER purchase video from iTunes. For me it's not Apple vs Amazon,it's Netflix vs Amazon. And Netflix makes Prime look like a bad joke currently. I have seen a rumor that Amazon is about to make a huge upgrade to their video offerings,bringing it more in line with Netflix,possibly at higher cost. Speculation is that they may add a tier with better selection for more money,but no real facts yet. We will see.

As for the hardware,for the price it's worth it to for me have both. Each has capabilities the other doesn't have. No compelling reason for me to add a Fire at this point,though.

As to the Fire's threat to the ATV,um...no. Any more than the Fire Phone is killing the iPhone. I suspect that will be even more true when the long overdue ATV hardware update comes out,if we live that long.

25. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I used to have Prime but rarely ever watched videos from it because the selection wasn't as good as Netflix, and for the longest time, I couldn't stream it to my big screen and either had to watch on the iPad or the Mac, which I prefer not to do.

But I canceled my Prime this year because I wasn't make good use of it.