End-to-End Encryption Comes to Skype Through Signal Partnership

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft is testing a new "Private Conversations" feature in Skype, which is being introduced through a partnership with Signal.

Skype is using the Signal Protocol for the feature, allowing users to take advantage of strong end-to-end encryption for more secure communications.

Private Conversations are available for one-on-one conversations on Skype, with users able to initiate a private conversation by tapping on the "+" icon and then selecting "New Private Conversation." Once a conversation is initiated, it will be available only on the specific device where it was started.

Microsoft says Private Conversations offer several unique features:

[*]A Private Conversation will have a lock icon next to your contact's name.
[*]Preview messages from Private Conversations will not show in Chats or notifications.
[*]Private Conversation capabilities are limited. You cannot edit a message or forward a file. From the chat window, only emoticons, files and audio messages are available to send.
[*]Private Conversations are specific to a device. A new invitation must be sent and accepted, to change to another device.

Private Conversations are available today in a preview capacity for Skype Insiders, Microsoft's beta testing program for Skype.

Article Link: End-to-End Encryption Comes to Skype Through Signal Partnership

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
They didn’t have this already...? It’s 2018...

I think just Skype for Business offered it previously.

It it a bit strange that Microsoft is using someone else to make it happen. Seems they should be able to do it themselves. Though I suppose this route is easier and in this day and age if something goes wrong or a loophole is found, they can just blame it on someone else and lessen the bad press for themselves.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
I've said this a million times before and will say it again: This isn't secure end-to-end if you aren't managing your public keys. I'm frustrated with how many companies claim they have end-to-end encryption when users are blindly trusting the public keys given to them by the one entity they're trying to avoid trusting.

Last edited:

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Microsoft did secret surveillance deals with NSA, et al., years ago. Who would trust a company that sells hundreds of millions of dollars of products to governments to protect their secrets. It’s like trusting Facebook or google not to spy. The incentives are wrong.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
I think just Skype for Business offered it previously.

It it a bit strange that Microsoft is using someone else to make it happen. Seems they should be able to do it themselves. Though I suppose this route is easier and in this day and age if something goes wrong or a loophole is found, they can just blame it on someone else and lessen the bad press for themselves.

Even stranger I thought Skype had end to end encryption prior to the Microsoft acquisition and MS nixed it.

mrzz

Suspended
Mar 25, 2017
They don't want to do it properly to continue sniffing on majority of traffic. Why the hell you need to initiate any special "channel" to be able to use it? Everything should be encrypted, but they simply don't want to do that.

asheswalls

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2018
hmm... agree with fairoz.
but i have used number of apps to prove the fact but i must tell you that enkryptonite is really a revolutionary app and you must use this.
It is a revolutionary method to encrypt communication between mobile devices. It enables encrypted text messages to be sent between users without risking the leak of confidential or private communications.
This is available for iOS and Android devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.