macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
But the study said "an average worker's functioning IQ falls 10 points when distracted by ringing telephones and incoming e-mails ... more than double the four-point drop seen following studies on the impact of smoking marijuana.
So, when in the midst of answering a call or email, a worker's "functioning IQ" isn't as high. Wow. Shocker.

I could, from experience, then argue that having a baby around lowers your IQ far more than pot, emails, cell phones, or possibly strokes.

Very misleading report, I think.

And, BTW, I've found that people answer emails and/or phones during meetings because the meetings tend to lower "functioning IQ" far more than any call ever could.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
actually i run into this a lot (the messaging, the pot is fine). People at my office, myself included, get frazzled when they can't focus on a single task, instead answering a phone call ever 5 minutes, or answering an email, all on unrelated projects... I've been encouraging my team to take 1 hour a day, shut down Lotus, forward calls to voicemail, and see what a difference it makes. Anyone else working in offices, I suggest the same...

L

Lau

rainman::|:| said:
actually i run into this a lot (the messaging, the pot is fine). People at my office, myself included, get frazzled when they can't focus on a single task, instead answering a phone call ever 5 minutes, or answering an email, all on unrelated projects... I've been encouraging my team to take 1 hour a day, shut down Lotus, forward calls to voicemail, and see what a difference it makes. Anyone else working in offices, I suggest the same...
Actually, my boyfriend works at a university where the network and support is so terrible that the email goes down quite a lot. A while ago it went down for a couple of days, and everyone got loads done and went to see people rather than email them. So when it came back he decided he would set his email to check every hour rather than every minute. Unfortunately that lasted about a week. Oh well.

I reckon that's a great idea to get your whole team to do that.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Interesting discussion.
Multi-tasking is a brain drain. Pilots have to be trained to do this well, and it is wild to watch a simulator session, or listen to recordings of real cockpit emergencies.
As the work load increases more and more things get missed, often alarms are sounding loudly and you stop hearing them, the instructor or other pilot MIGHT remind you to silence it because it is really bogging you thought process down. We often call it "your brain going to ground", ground like an electrical ground. The seat becomes your "ground" and you can just freeze up if you are not used to it.
The Navy was very big on multi-tasking training. The amount of processing power used to fly fast, low, against people firing at you, and you setting up for your attack at the same time is-to say the least-very "brain" demanding. Add a hangover or alcohol or drugs and pilots become "dumb" or in my case "dumber" very quick.

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
stubeeef said:
Interesting discussion.
Multi-tasking is a brain drain. Pilots have to be trained to do this well, and it is wild to watch a simulator session, or listen to recordings of real cockpit emergencies.
As the work load increases more and more things get missed, often alarms are sounding loudly and you stop hearing them, the instructor or other pilot MIGHT remind you to silence it because it is really bogging you thought process down. We often call it "your brain going to ground", ground like an electrical ground. The seat becomes your "ground" and you can just freeze up if you are not used to it.
The Navy was very big on multi-tasking training. The amount of processing power used to fly fast, low, against people firing at you, and you setting up for your attack at the same time is-to say the least-very "brain" demanding. Add a hangover or alcohol or drugs and pilots become "dumb" or in my case "dumber" very quick.
That seems a very good arguement for having only women pilots.

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Interestingly enough, I have been Instant Messaging for ten years, and I've found that I have actually become smarter because of it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have learned a lot about the social dynamics of being protected behind a computer screen. On IM, I type the way I type in these IM's, but sometimes I let caps or typos go. In general though, I stay away from "lyk omg r u goin 2 hu w her!11?!/!/!//?11".

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Peterkro said:
No, because as I'm sure you've noticed women generally can multitask much better than men.(maybe you don't have enough contact with women to have noticed)
:p
I've had enough contact with women to know they think they can multi-task better than men. ;)

Peterkro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2004
Communard de Londres,Tiocfaidh ár lá
jsw said:
I've had enough contact with women to know they think they can multi-task better than men. ;)
Well its very noticeable to me as I can concentrate very well on one thing but give me more to do I lose it totally,most women I see can converse,cook dinner,look after children and fart at the same time.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I recommended a girl in my last squadron to be an instructor pilot, and I presently am a Corp Captain, my co pilot is a girl who has not as yet been able to upgrade to captain.

Women are not better OR worse in the cockpit as men, I have found them to be both better and worse depending on the individual. Many are a 1000 times better than I will ever be, and many are accidents waiting to happen, just like the men.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
[sarcasm]
Imagine using IM while stoned in a Wendy's Drive-Thru late at night. You could kill TONS of little black girls on bikes. :)

[/sarcasm]

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Moxiemike said:
[sarcasm]
Imagine using IM while stoned in a Wendy's Drive-Thru late at night. You could kill TONS of little black girls on bikes. :)

[/sarcasm]
ahahaha that's great... chapelle's show should do a skit :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Moxiemike said:
[sarcasm]

[/sarcasm]
Were did that come from?

I don't find that comment funny at all.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I only check my messages once a day and respond if necessary. It would still seem that active use of the mind and hands would be better than sitting and watching TV. An active mind is very important. It is needed to post on MacRumors.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
840quadra said:
Were did that come from?

I don't find that comment funny at all.
I find i hilarious that THAT IS one of THE anti-drug commercial that our wonderful country has developed.

Ever seen it? It's not funny but HORRIBLY funny at the same time.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
rainman::|:| said:
ahahaha that's great... chapelle's show should do a skit :)

OT: I hear Chapelle's show has been "suspended" for the time being, with no real reason why. Another great one in limbo.

Olbermann on Countdown mentioned it--was saying how surreal it is that some crappy shows stay on the air....and great ones go to the dogs.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Moxiemike said:
OT: I hear Chapelle's show has been "suspended" for the time being, with no real reason why. Another great one in limbo.

Olbermann on Countdown mentioned it--was saying how surreal it is that some crappy shows stay on the air....and great ones go to the dogs.
At least Family Guy was brought back!