Endless problems with MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmcquillan, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jmcquillan macrumors newbie

G'day everyone

After buying my MacBook Pro in March 2011, I'm seeming to have endless problems with the laptop.

First of all the
    -Power adaptor failed, quickly replaced June 2011
    -Power adaptor failed, replaced again August 2011
    -Power Adaptor failed, replaced November 2011
    -Power Adaptor failed, March 2012. This time (finally) the Guy at apple said if it happened again, they'd finally have a look
    -Power Adaptor failed, April 2012, a couple of weeks later, finally booked in for service, replaced MagSafe, Top case and Logic board (the last two just as precautions)
    -Left speaker problems, a couple of days later, Apple simply forgot to plug it back in
    -Crackling sound from inside laptop, August 2012, apple couldn't find what was causing it, they simply cleaned out the insides and gave it back, this fixed the problem... Temporarily, I took it back and they found a missing screw.
    - Dodgy Disk drive, November 2012, jammed and destroyed a new DVD, which I happened to get for my birthday... A day before :mad:
    - still Dodgy disk drive, the other day, jammed another DVD.

(Well done for reading all that.)
    My question is that having a laptop bugged with so many issues, what would be the chance that if next time, something goes wrong, that (if I were to ask) they would replace the entire computer? It is still in the Apple store now getting the second disk drive fixed.

Thanks for anything posted!

2. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Sounds like you purchased a cursed unit.

Statistically speaking: They make *thousands* and *thousands* of MacBook Pros. There will be a few that are going to be problem riddled. The majority will NOT. Seems like you got one that was :/

I would just request an entirely new laptop from Apple. They usually seem to have a pretty reputable customer service, and you have a strong case. Just by the history alone of that one laptop, it's almost guaranteed that you will experience more problems in the future (unfortunately).

3. jmcquillan thread starter macrumors newbie

True, there's bound to be a dud in every thousand, thanks though, I'll ask about it when I go to pick it up (hopefully) this arvo.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Given the list of problems you've had with that laptop, I don't see them having a problem replacing it for you.

When I had a couple of repeated issues on a 2006 MBP, I finally asked them "what are my options?" They offered to fix it again or replace it. I chose the replacement and actually received a newer model.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I have owned numerous apple laptops, and one of them was similar to what you described. Apple replaced it. I would suggest calling customer service, explaining your story, and seeing what they can do.

Almost all of my other laptops have been great. Sorry to hear you got a bum unit.

6. pcomac macrumors regular

7. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

My last five MBPs (2006, 2008, 2009, 20011, 2012) have been perfect. I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

I would talk with Apple and see what they can do for you...

-P

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You've had 3 "major part" repairs (top case/mlb, then the ODD, then another ODD).

They will usually consider replacing it on a case-by case basis after 3/4 major repairs, however, coupled with the fact you've had to take it back for technician error (which does happen, they're only human, and diagnostics wouldn't have picked up a speaker cable missing), I'd certainly ask them to - and I imagine they will.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

others say 3 repairs to the same part.... a lot depends on Apple.