Endless Reboot Cycle After JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by smtty00, Jan 8, 2011.

1. smtty00 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm new to the whole Jailbreaking thing but have read up on it and it doesn't seem to be that complicated.

I've got an iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 and so I know that the only available (stable) option right now is to do a tethered JB.

I've tried twice now to do it but have had the same issue both times. I'm using the redsn0w method and have been able to do the initial JB without any issues. Upon going into Cydia the first time, I opt to download the updates it tells me are required and place them into my download queue. I then add a source for one of the cracked app stores and navigate to the one app I reall want and that I know is compatible with 4.2.1, LockInfo. I add that to the queue as well and then proceed to download everything. Once I'm given the option to 'Reboot' I do. After that though my phone essentially goes into an endless reboot cycle where I see the Apple logo for a few minutes, then it fades to black as if it's going to restart but just a few seconds later the Apple logo appears again. Both times I've ended up just restoring my phone.

Am I doing something wrong? Does it have something to do with adding the source for the cracked app store?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm anxious to join the JB world.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Macrumors and it's members don't support people that use cracked apps. It's most likely the cause anyway.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

4.2.1 is a tethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4. After the iPhone reboots you need to redsnow to turn your iPhone back on in "tethered mode".

Seriously buy the app if you really want it.

4. smtty00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Understood. I was just wanting to try it out before spending the money. From what I hear, it's well worth the money though. Quick question on that... If I buy it for this firmware version, will I need to rebuy it in the future when a new software version comes out and I need to restore and then reJB?

Thanks PsstGeek. I think I did that though. I rebooted (in 'tethered mode') after the initial JB without any issue. It was only after trying to download apps that I had the issue.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Nope you don't need to re-buy apps from Cydia. Once you make an account either using FaceBook or Amazon the apps are tied to the account and the specific iPhone you're using. So say if you restore then jailbreak Cydia will recognize all the apps you purchased and let you download them. If the app is updated by the developer it will show up in the update que.

No problem.

6. smtty00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thank you. What about if I were to have a different phone in the future? Is the account tied to the phone as well?

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Same as above and also the dev is really responsive so if there was a problem he'd move it over. He has a completely new version coming out soon which looks really nice, 3.0

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You'll log in with the account you made on the previous iPhone and start re-installing.

Easy;)

9. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I had the same problem the other day. I jailbroke, updated cydia, rebooted, then booted tethered. Everything worked great, then I installed SBSettings, which needed a reboot which it then went into the same endless cycle like yours.

I've decided to just wait for the untethered version before jailbreaking again