Endless topic but...MBP 15" 2.0 vs 2.2 ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Swisha31, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Swisha31 macrumors newbie

I'm getting a new MBP in a couple of weeks. I was about to shoot for the 17" with the trimmings but i'm saving the money for other things. I've decided on the 15'' with the hi-res anti-glare screen and 500 gb hd @ 7200. the only thing is, to save just a bit more money, should i get the 2.0 or the 2.2 processor.

*What it's for* I'm actually a rapper/producer and I'm on a ****** Sony Vaio at the moment. I'm upgrading to Mac because of the durability and strength/power and plus the Vaio is literally on it's last leg. I'm working on quite a bit of stuff coming up including two full length albums as well as producing for quite a few artists. This is the immediate future. I hope to have the laptop for around 4-5 years with little to no problems(PC has left a bad taste in my mouth). obviously, i have a few externals(terabytes) with all of my sound libraries and such in it as well as saving projects directly to externals. So my questions is, is the extra money for the 2.2 ghz really worth it? Or should i just spend the extra couple hundred and get the 2.2 ghz with the better graphics card.

Let me know Mac Fam!!!!!

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Get the 2.2. Definitely worth it.

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

If you use alot of graphic intensive apps its definitely worth it. the base config+high-res AG is not terrible at all either.
    If you can afford the 2.2Ghz, higher gpu + high-res AG go for it, its a solid machine.
    The CPU upgrade will also be a nice addition for running plug ins and having various USB devices hooked up at once (midi or interfaces). I enjoy mine but i also do some gaming and video content on here as well and definitely keeps up the pace.

Is internal space a huge requirement? as the solid state drive will definitely allow the machine to blaze through production and performance, though it shouldnt be extremely slow with the 7200rpm drive, just something to consider.

definitely stick with 15", in my experience with doing music editing and video editing the 17" is too bulky for me to carry around to various studios or on site locations. 15" high-res hits the sweet spot.

welcome to Mac! :cool:

4. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

4-5 years might as well get the 2.2. The difference will be made up within that time frame.

5. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi mate,just get the 2.2 whatever you do,is my recommendation.

6. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

Unless you're hurting for $$, you'll stay ahead of the curve with 2.2/2.3. If portability is an issue get a 15", if your laptop will mostly stay in one place, and you need more screen real estate get the 17 Antiglare.

Good luck!

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Depends. The 2.2 ghz i7 offers:
    - 2 mb more cache
    - 1600 mhz RAM ( while the 2.0 only supports 1333 )
    - supports Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O ( VT-D ).

Do you need that?

8. Chazn macrumors regular

15inch 2.2

Get the 15inch 2.2GHZ and upgrade to an SSD hardrive if you're a speed freak.

Don't get the 17inch because it's just too unreasonably expensive. You might as well get the iMac which will save you a couple hundred dollars.

9. Swisha31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the help so far fellas. The internal speed is not detrimental to the point where i need to get 512 SSD. i think the 500@7200 will do. like i said, i'm going to be using external HDs mostly anyway(do they make SSD externals?). And yes being mobile will be a huge thing because I'll be traveling to different states and possibly countries real soon as well. My Vaio now is 17" and to be honest, i never really had a problem toting it around but I kinda wanna go a little smaller this time. I do love what the resolution does for me on the 17". Gives me a lot of space to work with but as my brother told me(who has a MBP 13) I can probably just go out and get a monitor for my production at home and carry the projects to the studio with me.

But i believe the consensus is with the 2.2 ghz. I was just trying to see if there was a big difference in the two processors but I think I'm leaning more towards it now. lol...in the name of everything American I may scrap all of this and just get the 17'' lol.

10. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I have to believe that a 17" MBP will be lighter than your 17" Sony. For me, viewing high res 15" was much more harder than the 17". But 15 will be relatively portable. You should visit an Apple store before committing to buy one of these :D

11. SilverOnemi macrumors member

yes they make ssd externals however due to you connecting your fancy external to the firewire 800, speeds will be limited to 80mb , your best chance is to wait for thunderbolt drives.

i'd go with the 2.2 because the cpu will help you with your music, with the 15", also keep in mind that a SSD will help your scratch speeds, and if you go with the 2.2, the price for the upgrade is 100 bucks for the 128gb, not a bad price, i'm not saying these are the best drives in the market btu for the price you can't really complain, if you want more space i wouldn't bite apple's ssd's tho.

i'm not shure how heavy those music editing programs are, but you can keep all your programs on your main and your files on your external (like i do), and use your SSD for scratching.

also, if you go with the 15" and get the higher res model, it will give you more working space than the standard screen, but in the end, it's your choice, go to the apple store and try'em out.