EndNote alternatives

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mfacey, Oct 5, 2007.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Does anybody know of any good alternatives to EndNote?

I've been messing around with the latest version, but I'm not really convinced. Are there any good mac compatible apps that'll do similar things?

2. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

Papers is a good program.

I think it handles and displays articles in a more "mac-like" way. There are some negative to it. Mainly, Endnote has excellent integration with Microsoft word that makes citing references very simple. Also, Papers displays the names of all the authors, not just the primary author. Not that big of a deal, but it slows things down when you are doing a visual search for an author who's name you barely remember.

3. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

I highly recommend Bookends. It has a much more "mac-like" feel to it than Endnote, it doesn't take an hour to update your bibliography, AND you can export right from Papers to Bookends if you have both.

If you don't have Papers, I can't recommend it enough. It's like iTunes only for PDF files -- especially useful if you're in the sciences.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I also like both Bookends and Papers. It might be helpful if you provided more information regarding what your uses are. I use Bookends for managing references in manuscripts, and Papers to organize references and their corresponding pdfs - it also has a nice export to Bookends, which works great for my workflow.

5. shwc macrumors regular

Bookends is superb. I have shown Bookends to a few switchers who had run endnote on their windows boxes. They were blown away. I have not used endnote for a good six years and was surprised at their reactions. I had assumed that endnote must have gotten better since I gave it the boot.

Bookends is slow, however, opening up a large databases (10,000+ references) but is snappy once open.

I also have papers. As much as I love papers, I find I store use bookends for everything, including storing PDFs which are linked to various references in my databases.

6. ebeutler macrumors newbie

Try RefWorks

OK - Full disclosure: I work for RefWorks. It is a web-based alternative to EndNote and is platform independent (works in any browser and is the same for Windows and Mac). It also offers numerous collaborative features. It is available on a site license basis at over 1,000 academic institutions throughout the world, or can be purchased individually for $100.00 per year. www.refworks.com

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does Papers have *any* citation capabilities at this point? If so, which of the major citation standards does it offer (AMA, APA, etc?)

8. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

Papers 1.5

Papers 1.5 will apparently allow you to use papers to insert refs into Word and then export to Endnote to make the ref list. sounds good if you have papers and endnote, but want to use endnote as little as possible.

1.5 will also allow you to search google scholar, web of science, scopus etc. Sounds good, and i hope it comes soon because Papers 1.1 doesn't work with Leopard!