Energery Saver Settings Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Burghman81, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Burghman81 macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I just got one of the new MacBooks and it is my first Mac. I love it! Anyway, I was wondering what is recommended for energy saver settings? With my old PC I always had it set so that the computer hard drive would never shut down as I had heard this can be tough on hard drives.

What is the best method of setting the energy saver settings for a Mac? I want to get the maximum life out of my MacBook.

Thanks.

2. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Well you should set it on your needs. I have never set it to fall to sleep for example, only the screen to fall to sleep.

Do you use it for many hours or sit and then do something else, then back to macbook then back to the job you're doing and so on?

3. Burghman81 thread starter macrumors newbie

It varies. Usually I'll use it off and on at night, then during the day it sits. I usually turn it off once a day because it sits in my bag all day during work unused before class at night. I considered putting it in sleep, but figured off is better for the battery rather than leaving it in sleep for 8 hours or more during the day.

I just wasn't sure if there is an upside/downside to either letting the Hard Drive sleep or not.

4. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I never put my hard drive to sleep.

But if you want to know, i've seen many many people here that never shut down their laptops. They put them to sleep.:)