Energy saver and text-to-speech

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Laflamme, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Laflamme macrumors newbie

Usually I have no trouble finding apps by myself, but I think I might be out of luck with these two.

First, I'm looking for an app that would allow me to schedule my energy saver settings so that:
    • during daytime, my screensaver goes on after ten minutes of idle time and my screen never shuts off;
    • during nighttime, my screen shuts off after ten minutes of idle time and my mac goes to sleep ten minutes thereafter.
    As you can tell, I'm not trying to schedule events, but parameters.

Second, I'm looking for an app that would either switch the voice used for text-to-speech automatically according to the language(s) used in a text, or at least allow me to switch voices quickly from the menubar or with a keyboard shortcut.

Any ideas?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

In regards to your power question, this could get complex really quickly. You should be able to use AppleScript to change your power events, but to get them to trigger at specific times of the day, you'll probably have to make a CRON job. In other words, you'll have to build this yourself since it's so specific.

As far as switching TTS voices, that's another really nasty problem. You have to be able to have the application identify which language is being highlighted, then switch the voice from there. (Assuming Mac OS X Lion since it has the language-specific voices.) This also sounds like a build-it-yourself problem.

The upside is now you have two ideas for applications that you can market, if anyone else has the same needs!