Energy Saver? (Graphics card mode)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, May 17, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hi there

Am I correct to assume that when you're plugged onto electrical cord it uses the better graphics card but when on battery it uses the lower power one?

Because I currently switched on "Higher Performance" but I never really need the better graphics card when on battery. Just because I wasn't sure if it uses the better card when on electrical power/ cord, that's why i put it on "Higher Performance".

Any idea what the case is?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nothing is set automatically. It's up to the user whether they want to use the 9400M (Better Battery Life) or 9600M GT (Higher Performance) regardless if you're connected to AC or using the battery.

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Well who wouldn't want to use the better card when on AC?

It would make much more sense if it would utilize the better one when on AC and switch to lower mode when using battery.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why don't you try it yourself?

Anyway, from limited experience I had with the unibody MBP, it doesn't switch between GPUs on its own will. By default its set to 9400, so you need to change settings if you want 9600.

It doesn't change GPUs automatically when switching from one power source to another. Remember - switching GPUs still requires a re-login and it doesn't do it by itself.

5. shuffle1 macrumors member

Thanks, I was looking for this info. So, is there no way to put in a different setting for the battery and power adapter like I did on my PB G4? If there's not, I'm guessing you should remember to 'save' if you're working on something and decide to switch to the better performance mode. You know, if you didn't remember to before you started the project, right?