Energy Saver Sleep settings with SATA host adapter connected to G4 MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by madhatmac, Jun 6, 2017.

1. madhatmac macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I've got a SeriTek/1S2 SATA host adapter PCI card installed in my G4 MDD and it is working great. The only thing it doesn't seem to support is Sleep when you set it in the System Preferences/Energy Saver to "put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for... [enter desired time]".

When the time comes up, the computer just keeps running as usual - it doesn't go to sleep.

If I manually put the computer to sleep, then it will sleep (and wake) just fine. It just doesn't respond to the Energy Saver timer setting.

So, I'm just wondering if this is normal behaviour? Are the Energy Saver settings for Sleep in a G4 MDD incompatible with the SeriTek/1S2 card?

I know I don't have the latest firmware update on my card. The latest firmware is "SeriTek/1S2 5.1.3" but the firmware currently on the card is 5.0.9.

I was hesitant to update the firmware, though, unless it would definitely fix the issue as everything else is running fine and this is really only a small issue. Also, I've read some horror stories with firmware updates for some people.

So, if someone with similar experiences could shed some light on this, that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I wouldn't necessarily lay the blame on the card just yet.

Do you know what's going on when the time comes for system sleep? Maybe you have an active process that is preventing sleep?

Try this. Bring up Console.app and click on All Messages. Watch what's happening, particularly around the time the Mac is supposed to sleep. Are there any logged processes that occur right then that would potentially keep the Mac awake?

3. madhatmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think I have any processes going on that would prevent sleep. When I check All Messages in Console as you suggest, the latest process it shows is dated 27/5/17 which is strange as the computer date is 7/6/17.

But just to also put this into context, if I have an IDE/ATA drive in the machine, the Energy Saver Sleep settings work fine. It's only when my boot drive is a SATA drive (attached to the SeriTek card) that Energy Saver Sleep doesn't work.

I might try a different SATA drive and see what happens.

4. philgxxd macrumors member

philgxxd

"Modern" SATA harddrives let you adjust settings regarding energy management by software. So you also would like to look into that. What brand and model is that sata drive ?

5. for this macrumors regular

Mine is a hacked one (by flashing SeriTek 1S2 v. 5.1.3 firmware to a generic Sil3112 card). The MDD doesn't sleep by the Energy Saver's setting as well.